Book Smarts

I was wandering around Pages for All Ages today, which is a locally-owned "book mall" not unlike B&N or Borders. I haven't been "between the sheets" for a while and wanted to know what looked like a good read but I know I'd never read because I don't make the time for it because Netflix is controlling my brain and creating pressure to watch watch watch every day and then there's this thing called internet and ooh, I have to work tomorrow...

So yeah, as I passed through the gentle fiction and new releases and what-not, I had several musings come to mind:

1. Cliff writes an awful lot of notes.

2. Once Sue Grafton finishes her alphabet series with "Z" is for Zzzzzz, will she:
a) start with "AA" is for Aardvark?
b) just quite writing?
c) start with the Chinese alphabet?

d) make up her own letters ("squoovle" is for Marklar)

3. After a novel shows up on "Lost" it floods the bookstore shelves. Just after the second episode of Season 2, I look at Pages for "The Third Policeman" by Flann O'Brien and they have no copies. Tonight, a stack of fresh copies is prominently displayed. And by the way, the rumor that if you look at the first word on pages 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42 you will find a meaningful message is bullshit! It came out to be "to I a in for me" or some shit like that. Punks.

4. Macaulay Culkin wrote a book. No, that's all. I'm just saying...he wrote a book.

5. Who reads all this shit?

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Well. I was somewhat interested in the Lost book, not know. Thanks, Chris. As far as Mac's book. how bad could it be? Remember Pamela Anderson has a book out there, too. I read book reviews every week, yet don't see that many I want to go and pick up. I only read books from recomendations froms my friends. My book right now: "Why your life sucks and what you can do about it." From my friend Kris, I am pretty happy with it, so far. By the way, I tried to send you an e-mail, but I think my sidekick is messed up. If you don't get it, let me know.

Unknown said...

One thing that prevents me from wanting to become published is that I know I will be one of those people whose forgotten book is laying in waste at the bottom of some bargain bin, its pages a crinkly golden yellow and redolent of the musty stench that comes from sitting in a damp basement for several years.

Wow. That sounded depressing. LOL