Been Thinking...

I'm sure most of you are familiar with the cuisine term Tex-Mex. You know, most people refer to restaurants like Chevy's, Chili's, or (back in its day) Chi Chi's as Tex-Mex. Hmm. Chi Chi's. That place was a celebration of food. Or at least that was their slogan. I still remember it, only because it's my useless talent to remember jingles, song lyrics, and movie quotes. And clearly I remember them forever. Thank you God, genes, and environment.

Anyway, while at a more authentic Mexican restaurant this weekend, I had a thought during our conversation. Why don't they just call it Texican food? I mean, Tex-Mex is cute and all. And it rhymes and all. But I think Texican is a better play on words, and as a self-professed wordsmith, I'm inclined to say I'm right on this one.

Just a thought...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Listen, most new words are basically added to the general vernacular once you repeat it in enough places. I say start saying that shit everywhere you go. It will circulate like volcanic ass around the globe. In about a year, it will come back around and everyone will be saying it. ;)

Anonymous said...

You know you have more than that........

Anonymous said...

That term is already in use, silly. From what I've heard, doing the "Texican" is much like doing the Granny Smith...

[inside joke]

Army said...

Volcanic ass, Allie?? LOL - What the fook??

Baba - of course I have more tricks up my sleeve, but I'm holding out for future posts : )

S Dub - hilarious! Just don't forget the Rusty Trombone and the Weasel Pinch.

Anonymous said...

"Chi Chis" is Mexican slang for breasts. I always wondered if that was intentional...