The Moment of Truth

As you may have read, I rocked out my interview last week, or so I thought...

While at work today, my coworker HH got a phone call when I was chatting with her in her office. It was from one of the committee members contacting her as my reference. Ooh! Good news? Sure, but not a done deal. They could be contacting all of the finalists. Still, it distracted me even more. I knew I would likely hear back today either way.

After lunch, I overheard a quick conversation about the search chair leaving a message for JP the British Boss. They were both on the committee for this position, and the timing seemed right. Perhaps she called to finalize the deal and make the offer to their candidate? But was it me?

I had been nervous all weekend and just wanted the Band-Aid ripped off. Job or no, I needed some answers. No matter how well I thought I did, you just never know with these things.

It figures that the call came through when I was with a student. So I tossed my little kiddy out of my office (no, not really), grabbed my cell phone to listen to the calm and unrevealing message from the search chair, and quickly dialed her number.

The secretary put me through...

"How's it going, Army?"

"Hello Search Chair, good to hear from you. I'm very nervous."

Chuckle. "Why should you be nervous when we're offering you the position?"

Laughter. "Are you kidding me? That's wonderful news!"

WOO-HOO!!! I was ecstatic! I had been wanting this promotion really badly for so many reasons but tried to not get my hopes too high. But it all worked out in the end!

So I'm basically jazzed : )

And that's all for now!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats and good luck in your new position..

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Chris!

Unknown said...

AWESOME! You rock! I can't wait to hear about all of the things your new job will entail!!

Bubz The Troll said...

Congratulations! Did you jump like Homer, too?

Anonymous said...

Honey, I "knew" you'd get the position! Call it "mothers intuition". Besides, I was ready to "take out" anyone who got in your way...just kidding of course! I know that no matter what you do in life, you ARE a success, and I couldn't be more proud of you if I were your mothe...or wait, I AM your mother!!! Love you honey, CONGRATS!!!

Unknown said...

Congrats!!! (and Hi by the way) :)

Anonymous said...

Let me add another belated congratulations! I'm so glad you got the job.

b said...

As your fiance, let me be one of the last (apparently) to congratulate you! I have been sending many positive thoughts your way. HOORAY! Maybe someday soon we can actually talk in person...?

Army said...

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the well-wishes from each of you.

I'm sure the new job will give me plenty of material to share on this here blog o' mine : )